Grant Amount: $5,000 – $250,000
Beyond Open is a $20 million small business grant program administered by the Foundation For The Carolinas (FFTC) and made possible with support from the Wells Fargo Open for Business Fund. The Beyond Open grant program will help diverse small business owners in Charlotte-Mecklenburg build wealth by investing in capital assets such as equipment, technology, inventory, and real estate. Beyond Open grants in three categories of support from $5k – $250k+ will enable small businesses, from startups to established businesses, to invest in capital assets for a variety of needs. Beyond Open grants do not need to be repaid.
Foundation For The Carolinas recognizes that nonprofits are critical to community vitality and offers opportunities for a wide variety of nonprofit grants, programs, and support available for review at fftc.org. The Foundation recognizes nonprofit organizations as “businesses” and we are pleased that Wells Fargo has included them on the list of eligible business entities.
While nonprofits in the community are eligible to apply, please pay close attention to eligibility criteria and focus areas because Beyond Open grants to participating nonprofits will be highly selective and subject to the same process as for-profit companies.
Nonprofit organizations considering applying should consider their ability to make a clear connection between the capital asset for which Beyond Open grant funds will be used and the positive impact on the reported financial income of the organization. While we know nonprofits do great work, it can be difficult for many to meet the standards required for this grant program. For example, a grant requesting funding for an existing program or service expansion is unlikely to be awarded.
The deadline is on October 28, 2022 at 5pm
HOW TO QUALIFY
- Diverse business owners (minorities, women, veterans, LGBTQ) in Charlotte-Mecklenburg are eligible to apply for Beyond Open small business grants.
- Priority and special encouragement will be given to companies located in, near, or with substantial business activity centered around one of the six Corridors of Opportunity:
- Corridor 1 – Albemarle Road/Central Avenue
- Corridor 2 – Ferry Beatties Ford/Rozzelles
- Corridor 3 – Freedom Drive/Wilkinson Blvd.
- Corridor 4 – Graham/North Tryon St.
- Corridor 5 – Sugar Creek Rd/I-85
- Corridor 6 – West Boulevard
- Small businesses from 1 employee (with the owner counting as an employee) to 499 employees are eligible and are encouraged to apply.
- If you are a franchise, you must be an independent and locally owned franchisor.